[Choir] Summer Acting Workshop

Bethany Reeves breeves at stevens.edu
Thu Apr 14 18:26:33 EDT 2016

Dear Choir - this is for those of you who are a) interested in acting, and b) will be here for the first half of the summer.

Best,

BR

Dear Folks-Interested-In-Acting,

DeBaun PAC will be offering its second annual acting workshop this summer, taught by Bethany Reeves. Please take a quick look at the basics, below, and let us know if you would like to join in.

Estimated numbers will influence planning, so we appreciate your early response. Thank you.

  *   Dates: regular, selected weeknights between June 1-July 8 (i.e., Tues/Ths). Approx. total of 10-12 class sessions, roughly 7-9:45pm.
  *   Format:

  1.  Class style - please note that this summer, the workshop will be conducted as a class at which all participants are expected to be regularly present (if you have specific out-of-town dates, please let Bethany know).
  2.  What we'll be doing: an in-depth actors' study of one play, or two at most. Several plays by Chekhov and other modern realist writers are under consideration. Scenes/monologues will be assigned to all. We'll work on them in class, where your own work, observation of others' process, and class discussion pertinent to acting questions will all be important parts of the our process.
  3.  "Acting questions":

  *   Big Point: Addressing acting questions in modern realism requires a careful reading of the play early on (please note we may start with a "how to dig for info" exercise using another, shorter piece, to be prepped in advance of the first session). Things that will come up:
  *   Character needs and motives
  *   Uncovering subtext
  *   Finding beats of scene
  *   Choosing and executing actions

  *   Class presentation night(s) - memorized scenes/monologues from the chosen play(s): Thursday 7/7 and/or Friday 7/8.
  *   Participation in the presentation evening(s) is assumed.
  *   Fee: none. This is a service to members of the larger Stevens/DeBaun community.
  *   Materials: you will need to obtain a copy of the play(s) we'll be studying.

The workshop will be running concurrently with rehearsals for DeBaun PAC's first Summer Theatre Workshop production, Ibsen's "Ghosts" - performances on Friday and Saturday July 15 & 16. Together, the production and the acting workshop constitute a new summer theatre direction being developed by DeBaun PAC.

What we need from you:

- Are you interested in participating?

If so:

- Are there specific dates you cannot be available?

- Are there specific evenings, each week, you cannot be available?

Please respond to Bethany Reeves at breeves at stevens.edu<mailto:breeves at stevens.edu>. Thank you!