[Choir] SECTIONALS for VIRTUAL CHOIR: Sicut cervus

Bethany Reeves breeves at stevens.edu
Sun Apr 5 20:58:11 EDT 2020

Dear Choir,

It's time to get started on serious prep for our first virtual choir adventure, on "Sicut cervus."

Especially now, we can all perhaps sympathize with the fundamental yearning of this piece. As the deer yearns for springs of water, so do we yearn for a source of life and comfort, whether we identify that source as the Christian god or not. Music can be an expression of that life force.

SECTIONALS will be held as follows this week during regular Choir times:

Monday and Thursday, 6:45-7:15 - sopranos
Monday and Thursday, 7:20-7:50 - altos
Monday and Thursday, 7:55-8:25 - tenors
Monday and Thursday, 8:30-9:00 - baritones and basses.

Please attend as if we were still on campus, and please be on time.

The meeting ZOOM links are:
MONDAY 4/6: https://stevens.zoom.us/j/123219856
THURSDAY 4/9: https://stevens.zoom.us/j/813111641

In the interest of getting this project on its feet, I've decided to forego the many steps involved in creating our own parts videos for "Sicut cervus." We'll just use the ones so kindly provided on YouTube by St. Mary's Singers. I sent them around last week; that email, with all links, is forwarded to you below.

I am also attaching a pdf of the score we were specifically using before the Choir folders were left sad and alone in the Music Room. PLEASE NOTE that there are some text typos in the YouTube parts videos; the correct Latin is in the pdf.

Sectional rehearsals are necessary to review and solidify the articulations, breaths, dynamics, and vowel treatments that were in progress as we headed into spring break. We cannot effectively sing together online because of lag. However, we can review important musical/vocal/text points and go over the parts. This will be invaluable when you go to record your own voice singing your part.

RE: CHOIR IN THE CORONA LANE (the Monday/Thursday get-togethers with alumni) - I've been very happy to see several of you in attendance, exploring terrific music from semesters past and for the next virtual choir efforts! I'm moving the meetings this week to Tuesday and Friday evenings, as the current Choir has dibs on official rehearsal times.

I hope you're all doing ok in this very difficult situation. Please take good care.

Truly,
Bethany

Stage Director/Teacher, DeBaun Shakespeare & Summer Theatre Projects
Stevens Institute of Technology