[Choir] Dear Singers! Links and a special message from Stevens' president, Nariman Farvardin

Bethany Reeves breeves at stevens.edu
Tue Jan 5 12:33:35 EST 2021

Dear and Wonderful Past and Future Members of the Stevens Choir!

Though the pandemic has rendered singing together untenable for this year, the virtual projects of last spring and summer can remind us of what waits for us when we come back - to the Stevens Choir, for current students, and to the many church and community and semi-professional choirs of which so many of you wonderful alumni are members.

I'm behind schedule on getting these videos out to you all, for which I can only apologize and plead for mercy (it was quite a fall!). That said, I'm proud to forward President Farvardin's holiday email featuring our Alma Mater, and am also pleased to present some 22 members of last semester's Stevens Choir in Palestrina's Sicut Cervus, one of the pieces most ready for performance when we had to disband six weeks before a Spring Concert that was never to be. The text of Sicut has to do with a thirsty deer longing for water - a simile for the soul longing for the divine. It can also stand for singers longing to return to singing, perhaps. Especially to singing together. That's what ensemble means, after all.

The Stevens Alma Mater:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM-oKJvGdGo&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3od4H3kyb3-EfVwt4me0kfCCrAHB568_qpRrQtxV-pT62zIWJWMDIU2e8

Sicut Cervus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ5j8B0imCg&fbclid=IwAR1rBpaPrhIjGdYz5PVdngMo36i9F__EfmooCqa_2EiHPENpLkXhwiGqOeo

My heartfelt thanks to each and every singer on these videos, and especially grateful shoutouts to this trio, without whom these projects would have been very unlikely:

Will Stackpole: audio
Carl Russell: video
Diana Voyer: scrolling internet scores

May 2021 be a year of health, prosperity, happiness, and MUSIC for you all!

Very warmly,
Bethany

PS: Re Witness - please stand by; I'm encountering technical difficulties accessing the file. I'll hope to contact participants in a few days, once Stevens is back from an extended, covid-inspired vacation period.

Dr. Bethany Reeves; she/her
Stage Director/Acting Teacher, DeBaun Theatre Projects
Stevens Institute of Technology