[cs631apue] end of semester

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Dec 19 15:06:45 EST 2015

All,

I have sent out grade for the final project and will enter letter grades
later this afternoon.

This concludes this semester.  I hope that you all learned a bit about
how the Unix family of operating systems work and how to write a bit of
C code.  I know for many of you this was a hard class and likely
required more effort than you had initially assumed; you should feel
proud to have completed it and hopefully you will find that in your
future you will recall some of the lessons from this class.

If there are just two things you take away from this semester, let it be
these:

- Simplify: the simpler the code, the fewer bugs.  Resist the temptation
  to add features that are not needed.

- Remember to always check the return value of all functions.
  Yes, that should include malloc(3).  Things _will_ fail, and your
  program needs to be resilient to failure.

Happy holidays and a happy new year,