[SDS] Welcome Back! GBM Wednesday, 9PM, E222

Elizabeth Lamb e.lamb92 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:18:46 EST 2013

Happy New Year!

I was personally very happy to see everyone back in classes today and am
excited to move forward with our Spring show, *Urinetown: The Musical!
*This past weekend the Executive Board
convened with Dave Zimmerman to interview Directors.  We all agreed to hire
a very promising director, Adam Mace <http://www.adammace.com>.  I invite
you to check out his website and see what he is all about.

After interviews, a  few members ventured into the city this weekend to see
a production of the show recommended us to by Dave Zimmerman.  We have all
been invigorated with excitement for the show and thrilled to be able to
share the story with our own campus.

Now that we have announced the show and the director, we would like to urge
you to start thinking about your role in the show.

ACTING INTEREST

*Auditions will be January 24th and 25th at 9PM-11PM in the DeBaun Center
for Performing Arts*. Call backs will be the following Sunday, the 27th.
More information will be announced at the GBM this Wednesday.

PIT INTEREST

If you are considering playing in the Band for the show *please attend the
GBM this Wednesday or email the alias *and we will provide you with more
information when available.  In case you didn't know we have invited Marcus
Baker back to be our Music Director, Yay!

TECHNICAL INTEREST

Carl Russell, our Technical Advisor,  has graciously offered to be our
Production Manager for this show and will work to strengthen our technical
abilities.  Here are a few words from him regarding the Production Board.

For the Spring musical, we are retooling the production process to clarify
> roles and responsibilities and to design the show together, beginning with
> the principles of traditional theatrecraft. The goal is to instill good
> theatrical practices in the next generation of Dramatic Society theater
> techs.
>
> There is room in the production crew for designers who will be responsible
> for steering the broad aspects of the production, crew heads who will lead
> the execution of the designs, and crews who will learn and improve the
> skills necessary to put up the show.
>
> Responsibility will be the primary quality sought after in assembling the
> production crew, and while experience is certainly welcome, it is not
> necessary. Support will be provided by skilled folk in our theatrical
> neighborhood. This is primarily an opportunity to learn stagecraft.
>
> *If you are interested in joining this experiment, or if you would like
> to know more about the plan, please contact me either by email at
> carl.russell at stevens.edu or stop by my office in the EAS Building, room
> 114.*
>
> We plan to begin work at the start of the semester, so please let me know
> right away how you would like to be involved.

*We request that if you have any interest please speak with Carl and CC the
Alias.*

Please note, below is an announcement regarding a new *One Act Festival
Series* with audition information, a *Performance for a Cause* update,  and
an updated *Event List* from December. So check these three out.

*ONE ACTS*

> DeBaun Center for Performing Arts is seeking up to 9 men and 4 women to
> play roles in their upcoming production of:
>
> *New York Stories – Five Plays about Life in New York*
>
>  Jason Milligan's anthology of one-act plays set in New York City features
> a wide range of styles and tones, ranging from wacky comedy to romance to
> drama. This collection includes: *Best Warm Beer in Brooklyn<http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/7608/best-warm-beer-in-brooklyn-the>
> * directed by Katie Ricculli, *John's Ring<http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/7601/johns-ring>
> * directed by Caroline Amaba, *Next Tuesday<http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/7603/next-tuesday>
> * directed by Ned Delaney, *Nights in Hohokus<http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/7606/nights-in-hohokus>
> * directed by Colin Gliech, and *Shoes<http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/7609/shoes>
> * directed by Adam Wing. Performances will be held at DeBaun Auditorium
> on February 1 and 2, 2013, at 8pm.
>
> * *Auditions will be held at DeBaun Auditorium on *Wednesday, January 16
> from 9-11pm. *Please prepare a short monologue (if possible) and be
> prepared to read from sides. Auditions are first come, first serve – no
> appointments necessary.
>
>  For further information, contact producer Chris Diggins at
> cdiggins at stevens.edu
>
> www.stevens.edu/debauncenter

*PERFORMANCE FOR A CAUSE
*

> To get the ball rolling early this semester, tomorrow (Tuesday) there will
> be a brainstorm meeting for the P4C show. Jacobus Large Conference Room
> from 8 PM - 10 PM.
>
>  At this meeting we will talk about what things we would like to do. You
> do not need to be at the meeting for the entire time, but please stop by
> for whatever time you can!
>
> If you can't make the meeting please email ehromada at stevens.edu and let
> Emily know your ideas! (also join the fb group)

*

UPCOMING DATES:*

1/16                   GBM: Welcome Back

1/19                   Welcome Back Social Event

1/24 – 1/25         Auditions

1/26                   Call Backs

2/9 - 2/10           Possible Workshop

2/20                   GBM: Show Packet

2/24                   Possible Workshop and Show on Broadway

3/2 - 3/3             Possible Workshop

3/9 – 3/17          Spring Break

3/20                   GBM: Pre-Load-In

3/23                   Load-In

4/11 – 4/13         Shows

4/14                   Load-Out

4/17                  GBM: Wrap-Up and Nominations

5/1                    GBM: Elections

Best,

Liz

--