[SDS] Nominations/Elections, Society Day, Scene Study, Etc

Natalie Barillaro nbarilla at stevens.edu
Tue Apr 19 13:33:21 EDT 2016

Hello All,

This is a long email, so please buckle up and stay seated (and receptive)
for the duration of the ride.

*NOMINATIONS *will stay open until tomorrow, so if you have any last-minute
additions to the pile, add them now by emailing ME.

I have included in this email, for your convenience, a document of all
nominees, all those eligible to be nominated, and all those eligible to
vote. If you are a voting member, please make sure you are at our voting
meeting *on 4/27 at 9PM in E222.*

*(If you are nominated for something and you have not gotten me your CWID,
get it to me now)*

If you would like to see a list of members, eligibility to hold office
status, and their current nomination, please visit here
<https://docs.google.com/a/stevens.edu/spreadsheets/d/1EAabRXIlEwXmNieVgk2TwDyd4DkUP8SSCAxFXlxTh3U/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Remember, the requirement to be a member of SDS, as outlined in our
constitution, is to be an undergraduate or graduate student, have attended
2 out of the last 4 general body meetings, and have given ten hours to one
out of the last three shows (this means Arcadia, Rocky 2015, and Avenue Q).
If your name is NOT on this list and you think it should be, please contact
me ASAP.

*SOCIETY DAY is TOMORROW*
Join us tomorrow for a show brainstorm. I always joke that snacks are
encouraged, but this time around you absolutely should bring snacks!! Let's
all gather 'round and talk about shows we'd like to do next semester. This
is an *open *meeting (well, they all are), so if you have friends who want
to meet us and work on a show, bring 'em!

Society Day will be held tomorrow at 9PM in BC204,

Similarly, please check out these two surveys if you have not already:
We'll be using them in our discussion tomorrow
Show Selection Survey <http://goo.gl/forms/IlcLqo3j85>
2016-2017 Interest Survey <http://goo.gl/forms/0Ehg0XvQJt>

*Summer Scene Study:*

Dear Folks-Interested-In-Acting,

DeBaun PAC will be offering its second annual acting workshop this summer,
taught by Bethany Reeves. Please take a quick look at the basics, below,
and let us know if you would like to join in.

Estimated numbers will influence planning, so we appreciate your early
response. Thank you.

   - *Dates:* regular, selected weeknights between June 1-July 8 (i.e.,
   Tues/Ths). Approx. total of 10-12 class sessions, roughly 7-9:45pm.
   - *Format*:

   1. Class style - please note that this summer, the workshop will be
   conducted as a class at which all participants are expected to be regularly
   present (if you have specific out-of-town dates, please letBethany know).
   2. What we'll be doing: an in-depth actors' study of one play, or two at
   most. Several plays by Chekhov and other modern realist writers are under
   consideration. Scenes/monologues will be assigned to all. We'll work on
   them in class, where your own work, observation of others' process, and
   class discussion pertinent to acting questions will all be important parts
   of the our process.
   3. "Acting questions":

   - Big Point: Addressing acting questions in modern realism requires a
   careful reading of the play early on (please note we may start with a "how
   to dig for info" exercise using another, shorter piece, to be prepped in
   advance of the first session). Things that will come up:
   - Character needs and motives
   - Uncovering subtext
   - Finding beats of scene
   - Choosing and executing actions

   - *Class presentation night(s)* - memorized scenes/monologues from the
   chosen play(s): Thursday 7/7 and/or Friday 7/8.
   - *Participation in the presentation evening(s) is assumed.*
   - *Fee:* none. This is a service to members of the larger Stevens/DeBaun
   community.
   - *Materials:* you will need to obtain a copy of the play(s) we'll be
   studying.

The workshop will be running concurrently with rehearsals for DeBaun PAC's
first Summer Theatre Workshop production, Ibsen's "Ghosts" -
performances on Friday and Saturday July 15 & 16. Together, the production
and the acting workshop constitute a new summer theatre direction being
developed by DeBaun PAC.

What we need from you:

- Are you interested in participating?

If so:
- Are there specific dates you cannot be available?

- Are there specific evenings, each week, you cannot be available?
Please respond to Bethany Reeves at breeves at stevens.edu. Thank you!

Natalie Barillaro
Stevens Institute of Technology Co-op '17
Computer Science Major
Vice President, Stevens Dramatic Society Spring 2016
Arts and Music Subcommittee Head, 2016
Stevens Student Ambassador, Tour Guide