[SDS] Society Day Recap

Natalie Barillaro nbarilla at stevens.edu
Tue Apr 26 12:48:20 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

If you'd like to know what we discussed last week at Society Day, here it
is:

*Non-Mainstage Opportunities*
The society seems to have reached a consensus on the issue of recruitment
and retention: the best way to increase both is to keep people involved.
The best way we can do that is with smaller shows that are not tied to the
mainstage production. Some ideas thrown around were a set of one-acts, a
24-hour show, and even a series of smaller plays rehearsed during the
summer and performed in Hayden at the beginning of the semester.

While there seems to be a lot of interest for these types of shows, the
efforts of the executive board are usually concentrated on the mainstage
production. As a result, they do not have much time to produce anything
else. We've decided to open this responsibility up to the society. How?
Through an application process, of course!

If you have a plan for a smaller show next semester, please apply here
<http://goo.gl/forms/cUNCs96YXJ>. The next eboard can/will review them and
put together their fall season accordingly. By filling out this application
and having your proposal approved, you will hold full responsibility for
the production of this show. It's a *big deal*.

*Show Selection*
Next we discussed mainstage shows. Here is a list of some of the shows that
were discussed as well as the points we made about them.

*Metamorphoses *(Proposed by Liz Lamb)

   - Comedy/Drama (series of vignettes)
   - Based on Ovid's tales. The theme is change.
   - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses_(play)>
   - 5m/5f/ flexible
   - We would need a pool, but Carl said as long as Liz is in charge of the
   pool we can do it

*Almost Maine *(Proposed by Kathy Nevola)

   - Romantic Comedy (Vignettes)
   - Vignettes about love & romance
   - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost,_Maine>
   - 2-14 men, 2-8 women (flexible)
   - Flexible set

*Reckless *(Proposed by Kathy Nevola)

   - Comedy Drama
   - This woman realizes her husband hired a hitman to kill her on
   Christmas Eve. Hilarity (?) ensues
   - Info <http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=1238>
   - 4m/5f (doubling
   - Flexible set

*Rumors *(Proposed by Katie Brown)

   - Comedy
   - It's a farce. There's a gun. What else do you need to know?
   - Wikipedia <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumors_(play)>
   - 4m/4f +2
   - Interior Set

*Hound of the Baskervilles *(Mark Cirnigliaro)

   - Drama
   - You know, like Sherlock Holmes
   - Info <http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/2470/hound-of-the-baskervilles>
   - 5m/5f
   -

   Unit Set/Multiple Settings, Opportunity for Spectacle

   Period Costumes

*The 39 Steps *(Mark Cirnigliaro)

   - Comedy/Farce
   - "Mix a Hitchcock masterpiece with a juicy spy novel, add a dash of
   Monty Python and you have *The 39 Steps*, a fast-paced whodunit"
   - Info <http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/1920/39-steps-the>
   - 3m/1f  (Many suggested the small cast size could play well into having
   multiple smaller shows throughout the semester)
   -

   Unit Set/Multiple Settings, Bare Stage/Simple Set

   Period Costumes

There were others, but they weren't recorded and I have no recollection of
them! Please continue to put your ideas in this little form here
<http://goo.gl/forms/IlcLqo3j85>.

See you all TOMORROW for elections, 9PM, BC222. If you're a member (which
means you can vote), PLEASE come. If you can't vote, you are welcome to
come anyway and offer up discussion.

Bye!

Natalie Barillaro
Stevens Institute of Technology Co-op '17
Computer Science Major
Vice President, Stevens Dramatic Society Spring 2016
Arts and Music Subcommittee Head, 2016
Stevens Student Ambassador, Tour Guide