[srcit_announce] SRCIT Downtime on Monday September 12, 2011

jlight at srcit.stevens.edu jlight at srcit.stevens.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:54:15 EDT 2011

*sorry we had to do it on a Monday; it was demanded by the backup schedule.*

-------------- next part --------------
The SRCIT System will be undergoing maintenance on Monday September 12th, 2011.

In order to assist this maintenance, we are scheduling downtime for the hours of
7 AM until 7 PM on the above date.

During this time the following services will be unavailable:
    * pretty much everything except LDAP queries
    * User Home Directories and User Data
    * Login to Linux Lab hosts
    * Personal Websites
    * Trac
    * SSH key-based authentication
    * SVN
    * srcit-experimental-mail email services

At the start of the downtime, all client machines will be rebooted and user
logins will be disabled until the end of the maintenance procedure. We thus
recommend that you log off the SRCIT system in advance of downtime commencement
so as to avoid any confusion and possible loss of your data.

This downtime was scheduled to
    * upgrade the existing file server infrastructure
    * expand available space for research projects
    * increase reliabilty and availability of users' data

If you have a good reasoning as to why this downtime should be delayed, i.e. if
you have a Grant Proposal Deadline or some other event taking place abroad where
you will need access to your data that's on the SRCIT servers at that time,
please let us know ASAP.

As well, if there are any questions regarding this downtime, please email the
SRCIT team here: srcit at stevens.edu