[SWE] Elections for SGA

Margaret A. Weigel mweigel at stevens.edu
Thu Nov 8 23:59:49 EST 2012

SGA President/Vice President Elections

https://www.stevens.edu/evote/ Opens on Thursday 11/08 at 9:00pm

My name is Ashley Montufar and I am running for SGA President alongside my
partner Mark Scalzo for SGA Vice President. As a team we are reaching out to
each of the RSO's, different organizations, and houses to express our ideas
and goals for SGA if we are elected and also collect concerns and feedback
from you the students. Unfortunately with the circumstances of Sandy, we
could not reach out face to face during your meetings, but we still wanted
you to know our hopes and plans for this school and ask for each person's
input. Ultimately SGA's main purpose is to be that voice for the students
and we want to be that bridge between the students and the administration.
We want the students at Stevens to be involved in all the extracurricular
opportunities available and attend events that they are interested in and
will enjoy.

If elected, we will continue further improving and strengthening our
sub-committees. These are the specific groups of each type of RSO. One
example is working closer with our professional societies and bringing
"Engineering Week" to our campus, which is actually a national event. This
would allow each RSO within the sub-committee to showcase something from
their society. It would also incorporate all the different societies working
together on a collaborative event. Everyone on campus would be able to
engage in these events and they would be nationally recognized. It can
become a sort of school spirit event too while representing each societies'
goals.

Another one of our ideas is to include students within administrative and
faculty committees. This means having your voice heard, literally. We will
work closely with SFA to allow students to serve on faculty choice
committees and therefore have a say in the professors that would be coming
to teach at Stevens. This past year, Kendra Appleheimer served on the
Strategic Planning Committee. This was a good start but we feel that more
students should have their opinions heard. We want the school to have an
outlet for each type of student, factoring in there major, year, background,
involvements on campus, and desires.

These are just two of the bigger aspects we want to focus on if elected. We
will also be working on the continued improvement of SGA's campus
involvement and our work with each of the different RSOs and organizations
at Stevens. If it is experience or leadership skills that you are worried
about for this ticket, you shouldn't be. I have served on the senate for
four years, and had the opportunity to see the dynamic of four very
different cabinets. I had the chance to learn from their weaknesses and
further improve the aspects they each excelled at. I have also served as a
sub-committee chair and was part of the Campus Life Committee. As far as
leadership skills, I served on the Panhel Council and am currently the Vice
President of Academic Affairs for my sorority. I was the Treasurer and am
currently the President of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Mark, only a sophomore now, dove right in his freshman year on the senate
through being part of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee and worked on
the passage of the new constitution last year.  He now serves as the chair.
He also started the Accountability Committee and serves on the Oversight
Committee this year. Mark has served on the E-Boards of multiple RSOs
including treasurer for three clubs. Both Mark and I are current senators
for our respective classes on the Senate, student ambassadors and tour
guides for undergraduate admissions and Orientation Leaders.

We are not trying to force a vote for our ticket, but rather express our
ideas to the student body and hopefully gaining your support. We hope you do
make the choice of progress. Ultimately, we want to be the voice for each
and every one of you. We would truly appreciate feedback, questions,
concerns, or criticism. A strong and dynamic SGA does not work without the
input and opinions of every student at Stevens. We are here to serve you and
lead Stevens in the right direction. We will be YOUR voice.

Ashley Montufar & Mark Scalzo

Please email us at YourSGA2013 at gmail.com