[SWE] Next Scholars Program -- Gain a Network of Mentors for Free!

Sydney Slavik sslavik at stevens.edu
Mon Feb 13 16:21:50 EST 2017

Hello SWE Members,

We have been offered a *great opportunity*!  Please read below on
information to apply to gain a personal mentor through the New York Academy
of Sciences for FREE.  It's a LONG EMAIL but I encourage everyone to apply
or contact me if you are interested.  I just spoke with the directors of
the program & they even offered to hold spots for Stevens students :)
(PLEASE email me if you are applying so I can let the program manager
know).  These mentors are from all over the world providing access to jobs,
fellowships, or even letters of recommendation!

Read the following from Julie, the Next Scholars Program Manager:

The New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS) is re-launching this spring our
very successful and empowering *virtual mentoring program* called *Next
Scholars*. This is a revolutionary program that pairs highly motivated
female STEM professionals as mentors for female undergraduates in STEM
majors to grow a global network of like-minded women and keep talented
women in the STEM pipeline throughout the US. The application window for
the 2017 Next Scholars program is currently open and *has rolling admission
through February*, so apply as soon as possible to not miss out on this
great opportunity.

Use this *link* <http://bit.ly/NYASNextMentees> more information and the
program application*. *

Launched in 2012 by former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton as a
partnership between NYAS and the U.S. Department of State, the Next
Scholars program (formerly NeXXt Scholars) has supported over 125 young
women and their mentors all over the country.

As this program is re-launched, NYAS is looking to recruit a class of 300
young women and 300 mentors to participate side-by-side in skill-building
modules and live events on our new innovative learning platform.  These
programming modules are designed to help mentees develop the essential
skills they need to become our future STEM leaders.  These areas include:
career readiness, communication, leadership, and critical thinking, with an
underlying focus on computer science for STEM careers.

Next Scholars program will also connect you with a network of female STEM
professionals, along with one dedicated mentor, who can help bring you
closer to gaining an impressive internship or job referral by connecting
you to their network and helping you hone the skills needed to be
successful in this field.  You will also receive a *free one year
membership to the New York Academy of Sciences!*

*Potential mentees are:* <http://bit.ly/NYASNextMentees>

·         *Strongly interested in a STEM or computer science career*

·         *Self-identified females*

·         *Available to dedicate 1-2 hours a month to the program*

·         *A student at an American college or university*

·         *Excited by the idea of having a mentor!*

If you have any questions *please contact Julie Nadel at **jnadel at NYAS.org*
<jnadel at NYAS.org>, and we look forward to your application for this
exciting program!

You can also always reach out to me if you have any questions!
Best,
Sydney

--
*Sydney Slavik*