[SWE] International Women's Day Symposium

Ruthy Levi rlevi at stevens.edu
Fri Mar 3 17:57:41 EST 2017

Hey all,

See below for an incredible opportunity - we would love if we could get
some participation and represent SWE while fostering education on important
women's issues! Especially consider this if you would like to get involved
on the e-board!

Please email me if you sign up 💕
----

International Women’s Day is closely approaching; as such Amnesty
International would like your helping in organizing an event to *help forge
a more inclusive, gender equal campus and world. * We are hosting an
International Women’s Day Symposium and asking various organizations on
campus if they would like to participate. Here is a rundown of all the
details and deliverables of the event if you and SPC choose to participate:

WHEN: International Women’s Day, March 8th, 3 – 5 pm, Setup at 2pm

WHERE: Babbio Atrium

WHAT: This will be a chance for all RSO’s to speak about topics that are
important to their general body. Each RSO participating will be at a table,
prepared with the deliverables listed below. There will be an introductory
speaker, followed by a chance for attendees to walk around and learn about
specific women’s issues at each table.

If you are interested in participating, please fill out this google form
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/b60e823cf3958171cc05a8eff8ca7d6718ee8e16?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fa%2Fstevens.edu%2Fforms%2Fd%2Fe%2F1FAIpQLScB23gr7DvrIqTO_LT79Qd-XsuSO2KEi4JPsWGNqw2uTuAnAw%2Fviewform&signature=6e7f54bf7d81448c>.
The deadline to confirm participation is Friday, March 3rd at 8pm. If you
have any questions, please email rlevi at stevens.edu, aquinn3 at stevens.edu, or
phalkiad at stevens.edu.

The following are the deliverables for participation. These are necessary
to have and meaningful and successful event.

*1.*    Provide a campaign/issue area/organization/topic to discuss and
educate the Stevens community about

   -

   You should be informative, and not just provide your opinion on an
   issue. This topic should be something that your RSO is passionate or
   knowledgeable about. For instance, Amnesty International would not speak
   about what is means to be women in business, but rather issues that relate
   to our mission statement that our general body has expressed interest in
   For the sake of providing an example, Amnesty International could discuss
   women’s rights in El Salvador or the My Body My Rights campaign.
   -

   It should be a topic that can open up a dialogue!
   -

   All RSO representatives should be informative about this issue and be
   prepared to talk to strangers in a non-confrontational manner.
   -

   Examples include: domestic violence and sexual assault, what does it
   mean to be a “women”/understanding gender and social norms, sex
   trafficking, pay gap, She’s the First etc.

2.    Takeaways

   -

   Make sure you can tell people how to enact change. We hope to not only
   educate faculty, staff and students in attendance so that they have the
   tools to engage in a dialogue, but also to provide the means by which they
   can make a difference.
   -

   Provide informative pamphlets, information sheets, or directions on how
   to call your local representative about the issues. Petitions are highly
   encouraged.
   -

   The purpose of this event is to educate and mobilize the Stevens
   community, and these takeaways will be the crux of the event.
   -

   This can also include donations. For instance, a poster discussing the
   taboo of periods will also include a collection.

3.    Table Displays

   -

   We are hoping that the tables are inviting for faculty, staff and
   students walking around. So, please bring posters, club banners,
   informative PowerPoints,
   and other things that will fill table. Dean Damell will be available if
   you
   need assistance printing things like posters.

--
*Ruthy Levi*
*Stevens Institute of Technology* - Co-op Class of 2020