[Themaintainers] Pivot 2021 virtual conference: Last chance to register!

Richard Wheeler richarduwheeler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 21:34:50 EDT 2021

Reposted from design-studies-forum listserv (
design-studies-forum at utlists.utexas.edu); rereposted from
PHD-DESIGN at jiscmail.ac.uk
###
Pivot 2021: Dismantling/Reassembling kicks off next week! If you haven't
registered yet, you still have time until July 18th.

Pivot 2021 invites you for two days of intercultural conversations about
decoloniality and societal transformation. We aim to identify tools and
practices of dismantling and reassembling that could favor ways of
reshaping human presence on Earth, as well as concrete cases of alternative
future-making from all around the world.

We have planned two full days of presentations, discussions, and musical
performances. The conference will feature five keynote speakers – Dori
Tunstall, Bayo Akomolafe, Jason E. Lewis, Cash Ahenakew, and Sharon Stein –
and a conversation with Arturo Escobar. More than 70 presenters will share
their work in 23 panels. All the sessions will be recorded and made
available to registered delegates for six months.

As we aim to build and support a network of collaborators and allies with
shared values, our online platform will also provide social networking
opportunities to our participants. The virtual Social Lounge will be a
space to chat with other participants, interact with the speakers, enjoy
musical performances, and chill between the sessions on Zoom.

Register on our website<http://pivot2021conference.com/> if you haven't
done yet.

Pivot 2021: Dismantling/Reassembling is organized by the DRS Pluriversal
Design Special Interest Group and the Public Visualization Lab of OCAD
University, and hosted by OCAD University.

Chairs
Dr. Renata M. Leitão (Cornell University / OCAD University)
Dr. Lesley-Ann Noel (North Carolina State University)
Prof. Immony Men (OCAD University)

Committee Members
Dr. Laura Murphy (Tulane University)
Prof. Pawel Pokutycki (Royal Academy of Art)
Prof. Maria Rogal (University of Florida)
Prof. Michele Washington (Fashion Institute of Technology)
Dr. María de Mater O’Neill (Rubberband Design Studio)
Prof. Sucharita Beniwal (National Institute of Design)
Dr. Manuela Taboada (Queensland University of Technology)
Nicholas B.Torretta (Umeå Institute of Design)

###
Richard Wheeler
richarduwheeler at gmail.com
347.661.8476