[Themaintainers] [CfP Open Panel #1 Abysmal Infrastructures...] Remember to send your abstract

Gloria Baigorrotegui gloriabaigo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:04:32 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues

We invite abstract submissions for the open panel N.1 on "*Abysmal
infrastructures. Energy communities in the maintenance, repairing,
improvement, or abandonment*”  at the 2022 Society for Social Studies of
Science (4S) / Asociación Latinoamericana de Estudios Sociales de la
Ciencia y la Tecnología (ESOCITE) conference to be held in Cholula, Mexico,
December 7-10. *Open Panel #1
<https://www.4sonline.org/1-abysmal-infrastructures-energy-communities-in-the-maintenance-repairing-improvement-or-abandonment/>.
**Abysmal
infrastructures. Energy communities in the maintenance, repairing,
improvement, or abandonment*

According to the call of this 4S-Esocite “Reunion, Recuperation and
Reconfiguration,” we invite thinking, linking, and problematizing ideas,
works and research about communities, collectives’ entanglements
imbricated, implicated in practices of repairing, maintenances, valuation,
or abandonment of infrastructures.

The immense abysses, the great imposing depths, such as the seas, the
gullies, the chasms, or the novel openings caused by the small apparent ins
and outs or silent movements Barad (2017), locate the infrastructures
beyond order and progress and beyond the fragility and vulnerability.

Although the abysses are uncomfortable and can be related to evil and
perdition, a normative look less focused on its proper functioning makes it
possible to access the agency of constant infiltrations and systematic
negotiations (Hencke, 2020, 2021) and persistent forgetfulness more
clearly. This is especially the case of countries that acquire or host
projects and constructions conceived somewhere else (Zunino, Gruschetsky
and Piglia, 2021). Moreover, the justification for abandonment is usually
presented as a “lack of maintenance and repair.”

Therefore, we invite STS works on energy, transport infrastructures,
sanitary, urban, agri-food networks to do-undo, break-darn, discard-reuse,
our knowledge-doings regarding communal, infrastructural policies, as new
ways of learning from a polyphony of voices and from those / to places
where most of the time are in silence. These interstices reveal new poetics
and semiotic-material and affective tasks concerning the infrastructural
abysses or abysmal infrastructures.

Paper abstracts of up to 250 words should be submitted to the 4S/ESOCITE
conference platform <https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/call-for-submissions/>.
Please don’t miss the opportunity to submit your paper to an “open panel”
and then select Panel #1 "*Abysmal infrastructures. Energy communities in
the maintenance, repairing* ". Submissions close on *April 14th, 2022*.

We plan to select some of the works in a collective peer review book. Any
additional question about  the open panel can be sent to
gloria.baigorrotegui at usach.cl, cecilia.ibarrachile at gmail.com,
oscar.zapata at usak.ca, guillermo.guajardo at unam.mx