[Themaintainers] Maintenance-Philosophy of Technology (Special Interest Group)

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:01:18 EDT 2022

Dear all,

I’d like to let list members know about an upcoming monthly online seminar
series at the Society for Philosophy of Technology (SPT) which aims to
explore the topic of maintenance in relation to philosophy of technology.

This special interest group will run for two years and will chaired by
myself together with Sanna Lehtinin (U of Aalto). The goals of the group
include not only stimulating discussion about maintenance among
philosophers but also facilitating dialogue between philosophers of
technology and scholars of maintenance and repair from other disciplines.
All are therefore encouraged to take part, regardless of disciplinary
background and we look forward to welcoming a diverse range of perspectives
on this important and exciting topic.

You’ll find the schedule for 2022 below. If you’d like to attend any of the
talks, please send an email to mark at markthomasyoung.net and I’ll add you to
the mailing list through which zoom links will be posted a week in
advance.  Hope to see you there!

Best,
Mark Thomas Young

*Schedule - Maintenance and Philosophy of Technology*

May 12th 2022               (18-1915 UTC+1)
Mark Thomas Young (Vienna) “Maintenance and the Metaphysics of Artifacts”

June 9th 2022                (18-1915 UTC+1)
Eugenia Stamboliev (Vienna) “Rethinking Maintenance as Part of
Trustworthiness”

August 11th 2022           (18-1915 UTC+1)
Tom Fisher (NTU) “Repairing things repairs people”

September 8th 2022      (18-1915 UTC+1)
Cristina Bernabeau & Jesus Vega Encabo “The Privilege of Maintenance and
Repair in shaping and understanding our Artifactual World

October 13th 2022         (18-1915 UTC+1)
Taylor Stone and Aimee Van Wynesberghe “On the Things of the Internet: AI
for Maintenance and the Maintenance of AI

November 10th 2022     (18-1915 UTC+1)
Sanna Lehtinen (Aalto U) “Aesthetic Values in the Maintenance of Urban
Technologies”

December 8th 2022        (18-1915 UTC+1)
Simon Penny (UCI) "Making Maintenance Possible Again: Finding Ethical and
Sustainable Paths Through Consumerism, Disposability and Inbuilt
Obsolescence"

Mark Thomas Young
Postdoctoral Researcher
University of Vienna