[Themaintainers] Airforce maintainers

Daniel Paul Miller miller at sociotechnical.net
Sat Jun 4 13:08:29 EDT 2022

Thanks for sharing this, Varun!

The stories certainly do a great job of making the lives and culture of USAF aircraft maintenance personnel visible…and real.  (SSgt Lydia Whitney did an exceptional job talking to us about maintenance.  A big “Sierra Hotel” to her!)

I’m a maintenance veteran of the AF flight line and worked the weapon systems of more than one of the jets featured in the film.  I smiled as I watched, especially when seeing a specific maintenance task that I had performed, e.g. wiring a 500lb laser guided bomb or inventorying a “CTK” (consolidated-tool-kit).   I really grinned when I saw that the professionalism, enthusiasm and camaraderie of the maintenance troops is at the same high-level as it was when I was working jets during the last decade of the Cold War.

My experience with the AF’s maintenance education, training, standards, procedures (I still love the technology of the checklist!) and its pervasive professional maintenance culture, have influenced my professional career…and how I examine, live with, and, of course, maintain technologies.

Fun stuff!  Aim High!

Dan

———
Daniel Paul Miller, Ph.D.