[Themaintainers] Apply for PhD in Information & Media at Michigan State University

Stephanie Beth Jordan stephaniebeth at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:02:17 EDT 2022

Dear Maintainers,

My highly interdisciplinary department is currently recruiting new PhD students! We have multiple faculty interested in infrastructure studies like myself, Megh Marathe and Jean Hardy - who may be fantastic mentors to prospective students you know!

I'm happy to answer any questions about the department, opportunities or location!

Warmly,

Steph Jordan

-----

The Information and Media PhD program at Michigan State University seeks outstanding students who wish to join a unique interdisciplinary program of study at the intersection of the social sciences and technical systems. The faculty develop and apply research about media and society and evolving information and communication technologies to important problems.The program engages students to become active scholars, teachers, and leaders in the media and information fields.

The PhD program is offered jointly by the Department of Advertising + Public Relations, the School of Journalism, and the Department of Media and Information, and gives students access to more than fifty PhD faculty with research interests that span important current and emerging issues in media and information studies. Students get involved early on in projects, complementing theoretical coursework with hands-on research experiences.For more information on the program, go here: [Ph.D. in Information and Media | Michigan State University](https://comartsci.msu.edu/academics/academic-departments/default/graduate/phd-information-and-media)

Particularly strong research interests of our faculty include (listed alphabetically):

• Data Science

• Games and meaningful play

• Human-computer interaction

• ICT and health

• Information and Communication and Development (ICTD)

• Information policy and governance

• Information Science and computer security

• Internet Studies, Digital policy issues

• Media effects on individuals and society

• Media, information, and Internet policy

• Media psychology/racism/fandom/persuasion

• Narrative in Communication

• Online Communities

• Online misinformation / "fake" news / conspiracy theories, collective intelligence

• Social Justice

• Social media, social computing, and enterprise social networking

• Social Support

• Socio-technical systems and collective intelligence

• Usability; New Media

Applicants from various backgrounds are encouraged. Previous experience and/or interest in any of the following would indicate a fit with some faculty’s research projects (but is not a requirement)

- Computational literacy
- Content analysis
- Data analytics/visualization
- Data mining
- Design/development of collaborative / social technology
- Experience in Africa, Swahili speaking
- Experimental research
- International comparative work
- Machine learning
- Mixed methods research
- Passion for using technology to improve the world
- Programming
- Qualitative analysis
- Regression/ANOVA
- Web/graphic design skills

The deadline for applications for the Fall 2023 cohort is December 1, 2022. Steps to apply are detailed at https://comartsci.msu.edu/apply-information-and-media-phd-program

All of our current students are supported by graduate teaching and research assistantships with generous stipends, tuition remission, and health benefits. University fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, summer research fellowships, and stipends for travel to academic conferences are available for students.

Over three-fourths of our graduates are hired into faculty positions at the four-year mark of their doctoral studies. They are found in departments of mass media, journalism, advertising, public relations, and information studies across the United States and around the world. Others go on to careers in public service and business.

East Lansing and the greater Lansing area offer a vibrant cultural environment with easy access to a variety of outdoor activities and the scenic beauty of our state year-round. Blending urban and sub-urban living, it is one of the nation’s most affordable places to complete a doctoral program in media and information studies.

To learn more, see our web page, at: [Ph.D. in Information and Media | Michigan State University](https://comartsci.msu.edu/academics/academic-departments/default/graduate/phd-information-and-media)

Stephanie Beth Jordan (she/her/hers)

Department of Media and Information

Michigan State University