[Themaintainers] Maintaining Gendered Practice: An ethnographic study of female maintenance trade workers in heavy industry

Melinda Hodkiewicz melinda.hodkiewicz at uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 30 08:32:52 EDT 2023

Dear Maintainers list
It is with great pleasure to say that Dr. Bonita Carroll's PhD thesis on 'Maintaining Gendered Practice: An ethnographic study of female maintenance trade workers in heavy industry' is now available at this link.
https://research-repository.uwa.edu.au/en/publications/maintaining-gendered-practice-an-ethnographic-study-of-female-mai

Abstract
This work makes sense of the continued underrepresentation of women in manual trade occupations in heavy industry. It reveals that while legislation and employment policies have changed, conventional gendered practices in the cultural and social processes that structure daily life have not. The lived experiences of women demonstrate, that although cultural and social shifts in practice toward parity are being made in some workplaces, there is a lack of synchronicity of attitudes and practices outside of the workplace, creating a lag in social transformation. Identification of sociocultural lag between and within social fields is a key finding of this thesis.

We would welcome a lively discussion about this and to hear from you if you find it stimulating.

We hope that many who Bonita and I met at the Maintainers II conference (https://themaintainers.org/maintainers-ii-2017/) at Stevens years ago will remember us and make reconnect with Bonita as she moves forward now with her thesis completed. bonita_carroll at yahoo.com<mailto:bonita_carroll at yahoo.com>

Best wishes to all, regards Melinda

Professor Melinda Hodkiewicz
BA Hons (Oxon), PhD, CEng, FTSE
Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
University of Western Australia
M050, UWA, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009
Melinda.hodkiewicz at uwa.edu.au<mailto:Melinda.hodkiewicz at uwa.edu.au>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/melinda-hodkiewicz-b6bbba7/
https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=1JGboosAAAAJ&hl

*If you receive an email from me outside of 8am - 5pm AEST, it is not because I am always online or expect an immediate response from you; it is because work flexibility is important for me. Evening and weekend emails may not be a priority for you, it is just helpful for me to respond at that time.