[Themaintainers] Talk: Maintaining a Careless Culture: Sedimentation, Values and Retail (Madeleine Ley) Maintenance SIG May 11 (1800-1915 UTC+1)

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 03:50:51 EDT 2023

Dear all,

Hope this email finds everyone well. We’d like to announce the next session
of the Maintenance and Philosophy of Technology SIG on Thursday 11th May
(1800-1915 UTC+1). In this session, we’re very excited to welcome Madeleine
Ley who’ll be critically examining the maintenance of habits surrounding
food through the lens of phenomenology and ethics. If you'd like to receive
a link for the talk, please send me an email at mark at markthomasyoung.net

Best,

Mark

*Maintaining a Careless Culture: Sedimentation, Values and Retail*

Madeleine Ley (Technical University of Delft)

Thursday 11th May (1800-1915 UTC+1)

Drawing on the concept of sedimentation and disruption in
Merleau-Ponty’s *Phenomenology
of Perception*, this talk asks: what do our bodies maintain? How do we
inhabit culture in our daily movements such that we, largely unconsciously,
maintain the existence of certain technologies? The exploration of these
questions can be applied to any technology, but I focus specifically on how
many of us maintain colonial, capitalist worldviews in the ways we source
and eat our food. I examine the experience of using cutting-edge grocery
technology, which I argue further distances us from the lives that *are* our
food and the lives that gather, harvest, organize and deliver our food. By
bringing attention to this habitual part of life, which can go unnoticed in
the background of our perception, I encourage us to move into ethical
questions: what should we maintain and what should we let die? How should
we shake up our sedimentation and commit to maintaining something different
and more caring?