[Themaintainers] Talk: Andy Russell & Lee Vinsel 'After Eight Years of the Maintainers' Maintenance & Philosophy SIG, Thursday 9th November (1800-1915 UTC+1)

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 03:02:56 EST 2023

Dear all,

Hope this email finds everyone well. We’d like to share the zoom link for
the next session of the Maintenance and Philosophy of Technology SIG on
Thursday November 9th (1800-1915 UTC+1). In this session we’re extremely
excited to welcome Andy Russell and Lee Vinsel, who’ll be reflecting on the
origins of maintainers.org, the academic community they established for the
study of maintenance and repair in 2016 and taking stock of the current
state of research on the topic today. If you would like a link for the
talk, please email me at mark at markthomasyoung.net
Best,

Mark

*After Eight Years of the Maintainers*

Andy Russell (SUNY) & Lee Vinsel (Virginia Tech)

Thursday 9th November (1800-1915 UTC+1)

*Abstract*: We created The Maintainers in 2015, as the consequence of a
joke, followed in 2016 by our essay “Hail the Maintainers” in Aeon and a
conference at Stevens Institute of Technology. We have always understood
that the success of the Maintainers and our scholarship on the subject was
possible only because of a rich body of work on maintenance, repair,
infrastructure, and care that existed well before 2015, and that has
flourished since then. In this talk we will share some updates on where The
Maintainers organization stands today, as well as our perspectives on
research and scholarship on maintenance--both within our home discipline of
the history of technology as well as in adjacent disciplines where we did
not anticipate the subject would have such resonance.

(In order to avoid confusion regarding the timing of the talks - the
following table clarifies when the talks begin in different locations) Please
note that due to daylight savings in Europe and North America, this session
may be an hour later or earlier than previous sessions

New York:   12:00
San Francisco: 09:00
London:   17:00
Amsterdam:   18:00

*Remaining Schedule for 2023*

December 14th 2023 (18-1915 UTC+1): Philip Scranton (Rutgers U)
“Spare Parts: Conceptualizing a Modern Problem

Mark Thomas Young
Postdoctoral Researcher
University of Vienna
https://univie.academia.edu/MarkThomasYoung