[Themaintainers] Maintenance, a podcast from Mortise and Tenon Magazine

Lubar, Steven lubar at brown.edu
Wed Feb 14 08:27:05 EST 2024

Some Maintainers might find this podcast
<https://soundcloud.com/mortiseandtenonmag/68-in-defense-of-maintenance?in=mortiseandtenonmag/sets/mortise-tenon-magazine-podcast&mc_cid=22a5c90237&mc_eid=778d69d756>of
interest:

Not everything in life needs to be “set it and forget it.” There are all
sorts of things that we would do well to tend to – to care for – to pay
attention to. In this episode, Joshua and Mike discuss the value of
maintaining the stuff of our lives. Rather than consider it a burden that
ought to be overcome, the guys argue that there is something inherently
valuable in the practice of tending. Whether it’s seasonally adjusting
shifting doors, maintaining old wooden windows, or repairing your own
vehicles, the act of maintenance is an act of participation, rather than
consumption. This podcast conversation is a call to challenge yourself to
undertake things you’ve never done before, because in so doing, you may
find that the more you faithfully pay attention to, the more you will grow
– not to mention, the more you might learn to appreciate and enjoy the
mundane details of life.

--
Steven Lubar   (he/him/his)
*Professor, Departments of **History and **American Studies*