[AnimeClub] Let the anime of session II commence!

nbarresi at stevens.edu nbarresi at stevens.edu
Mon Jul 7 22:48:59 EDT 2008

Greeting fellow Otaku,

It is with great pleasure that I announce to the the long awaited
showing of Love Hina this week at the usual place B118, at the usual
time, 9:15. So please join us as we plunge into what the posters call a
an experience that has more girls than a HUM class and one guy with all
of the excitement that we wish for in a co-ed dorm! So please join us
for this wonderful installment of great summer anime viewing. As per the
usual there will be snacks and soda for your enjoyment.

and now for some announcements-

J u l y — A u g u s t   2 0 0 8

>From the Village to Vogue: The Modernist Jewelry of Art Smith

© MURAKAMI

Click! A Crowd-Curated Exhibition

Youth & Family Programs

 July–August Programs and Events

>From the Village to Vogue: The Modernist Jewelry of Art Smith

Art Smith (American, b. Cuba, 1917-1982). -Linked Oval- or -Elegant"
Necklace (detail), circa 1974. Amethyst quartz. Brooklyn Museum, Gift of
Charles L. Russell, 2207.61.1

Art Smith (American, b. Cuba, 1917–1982). “Linked Oval” or “Elegant"
Necklace (detail), circa 1974. Amethyst quartz. Brooklyn Museum, Gift of
Charles L. Russell, 2207.61.1

Through May 17, 2009

The centerpiece of this exhibition is a collection of twenty-one pieces
of silver and gold jewelry created by the black Brooklyn-reared
modernist jeweler Arthur Smith (1917–1982) and recently given to the
Museum by Charles Russell, Smith’s companion and heir. Presented along
with Smith’s work are twenty-three pieces of modernist jewelry from the
permanent collection by such artists as Elsa Freund, William Spratling,
Frank Rebajes, Eva Esisler, Ed Weiner, Clair Falkenstein, and Jung-Hoo
Kim. The exhibition also features archival material from Smith’s estate,
including his working tools, his original shop sign, period photographs
of models wearing his jewelry, preparatory sketches, and the artist’s
account books.

>From the Village to Vogue: The Modernist Jewelry of Art Smith is
organized by the
Brooklyn Museum.

The exhibition is supported by the Harold S. Keller Fund with additional
support from
the Donald and Mary Oenslager Fund.

Visit Web page of exhibition

© MURAKAMI

Takashi Murakami (Japanese, b. 1962). Tan Tan Bo, 2001. Acrylic on
canvas mounted on board. Collection of John A. Smith and Victoria
Hughes. Courtesy of Tomio Koyama Gallery, Tokyo. ©2001 Takashi
Murakami/Kaikai Kiki Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Takashi Murakami (Japanese, b. 1962). Tan Tan Bo, 2001. Acrylic on
canvas mounted on board.  Collection of John A. Smith and Victoria
Hughes. Courtesy of Tomio Koyama Gallery, Tokyo. ©2001 Takashi
Murakami/Kaikai Kiki Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Through July 13

Now in its final weeks before a European tour, © MURAKAMI is the most
comprehensive retrospective to date of the work of internationally
acclaimed Japanese artist Takashi Murakami. It features more than ninety
works in various media—including painting, sculpture, installation, and
animation—as well as a fully functioning Louis Vuitton shop. Organized
by The Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles, where it debuted last
winter, the exhibition will travel to the Museum für Moderne Kunst in
Frankfurt, Germany, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.
Murakami has created a wide-ranging body of work that consciously
bridges fine art, design, animation, fashion, and popular culture. The
contrast of opposites—good and evil, sweetness and perversion, humor and
darkness—is a recurring theme in his art. Often pieces that seem bright
and playful reveal darker sides upon close examination.
    In 1993, in a continuing project to brand his own identity, Murakami
created an alter ego named DOB. As the complexities of Murakami’s
examination of his own identity evolved, so did DOB, in painting and
inflatable form, morphing from a strand of DNA to a balloon-like
character with innocent eyes.
    Among the highlights of the exhibition are many of Murakami’s
acclaimed sculptural figures, including the twenty-three-foot-high
Tongari-kun (2003–4); Miss Ko² (1997), a long-legged waitress who has
become one of the artist’s signature characters; Hiropon (1997), a
Japanese girl jumping a rope of milk spurting from her gargantuan
breasts; and DOB in the Strange Forest, in which a benign and innocent
DOB figure encounters a group of menacing mushrooms. The paintings on
view include Tan Tan Bo (2001) and Tan Tan Bo Puking—a.k.a. Gero Tan
(2002), in which DOB has evolved into a frothing, sharp-toothed monster.

Tickets for © MURAKAMI are $10 for adults, $8 for older adults and
students with valid ID; children under 12 are free. © MURAKAMI tickets
include the cost of general admission and are available at the Brooklyn
Museum Visitor Center for the day of purchase. Tickets can also be
purchased online.

© MURAKAMI is organized by The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles.
The Brooklyn presentation is made possible by DLP Piper with additional
support from the Barbara and Richard Debs Exhibition Fund, the Arline
and Norman M. Feinberg Exhibition Fund, and the Martha A. and Robert S.
Rubin Exhibition Fund.

New York Magazine is exclusive print media sponsor.
Ovation TV is TV media sponsor.

Visit Web page of exhibition

Click! A Crowd-Curated Exhibition

Through August 10

Click! A Crowd-Curated Exhibition features photographs curated by 3,344
members of the public during an innovative online jury process. Taking
its inspiration from James Surowiecki’s book The Wisdom of Crowds, the
exhibition asks the question “Is a diverse crowd just as wise at
evaluating art as trained experts?”
    Click! began in March with an open call inviting artists to submit
photographs in response to the exhibition’s theme, “The Changing Faces
of Brooklyn.” During a six-week period in April and May, the public was
asked to evaluate the 389 submissions, which were posted on the Museum’s
Web site. Evaluators submitted more than 400,000 individual responses to
the photographs. The exhibition presents the top-ranked works chosen by
the crowd.

Visit Web page of exhibition

Youth & Family Programs

Arty Facts is on vacation in July, August, and September. Join us again
in October for this family program open to children four to seven and
their adult friends.

Arty Facts is made possible by the Picower Foundation.

 July–August Programs and Events

    * Gift Shop
    * Target First Saturday
    * Youth and Family Programs
    * Complete Calendar of Brooklyn Museum Events and Programs

Get detailed hours
Get detailed directions