[AnimeClub] STS Film Series, also Movie Night.

Chris Bowers cbowers at stevens.edu
Tue Mar 19 03:16:18 EDT 2013

Hey there guys,

As you might have heard us mention, the Anime Club and the Science and
Technology Studies program are coming together this Tuesday, March 19th,
at 9 PM in Burchard 118 to bring you Summer Wars!

Summer Wars was directed by Mamoru Hosoda, who also directed The Girl
Who Leapt Through Time, as well as the recent film Wolf Children Ame and
Yuki. It tells the story of timid 11th-grader Kenji Koiso, who is
implicated in the hacking of a virtual world and must fix the damage to
clear his name. True to form for Hosoda, Summer Wars is a fantastic
piece, and I highly recommend that anyone who has not seen it yet join
us on Tuesday night.

In addition, this Friday is the Anime Club's movie night! For your
pleasure, we will be showing Detroit Metal City, and Vampire Girl vs.
Frankenstein Girl.

Detroit Metal City tells the tragic tale of Soichi Negishi, who always
wanted to play bubbly pop music, but somehow ended up as the frontman of
the death metal band DMC. As Krauser II, he is rumored to be a terrorist
from hell, to have murdered his parents, and done all sorts of other
despicable things. The movie is incredibly funny, and also features rock
legend Gene Simmons in a cameo role as Jack Ill Dark, the legendary
American black metal guitarist.

Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl is about a girl who is a vampire and
a girl who is a Frankenstein. They fight, I guess, apparently over a
guy. It's probably worth noting that the movie's director, Yoshihiro
Nishimura, also directed the movie Tokyo Gore Police. Personally I
haven't seen either of them, but I have a pretty good idea of what to
expect.

Anyway, we hope you will join us this Friday, March 22nd, at 9 PM in
Burchard 118 for movies, snacks, prizes, and all the rest.

See you there,

Chris Bowers
Vice Commander-in-chief