[cs615asa] HW3-infinite loop

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Sun Apr 12 15:16:37 EDT 2009

Chih-Yuan Lee <clee9 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> As I wanted to query the host- 3com4200.cs.stevens-tech.edu,
>
> It was executed like a infinite loop. If I didn't force it to stop, it
> won't stop.
>
> Is it normal ?

I don't think it is an infinite loop -- if it was, it would give you the
same information over and over.  It just happens to have a lot more
"things" to tell you about than any of the other devices you can query,
so it takes a bit longer, but it will eventually terminate.

I'd suggest to query specific OIDs instead of asking for all
information.  I'll also point out that, as this example illustrates,
calling 'snmpwalk' as part of a solution for this assignment is probably
one of the least efficient ways.