[cs615asa] Question about wrap

Chih-Yuan Lee clee9 at stevens.edu
Sat Apr 18 17:42:42 EDT 2009

Dear professor,

Thanks for your response. I think I got it.

But I still have a question about wrap for SNMP.
I have checked some official documents of SNMP, but I still can't find
the answer.

My question is if the waiting time between two polling cycles is very
long, how to figure the situation like this:
Suppose : counter wraps at 10.

So if the sequence is 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  (There is no negative
vaule for MIB based on the description of official docements).

How can we know the counter has been wrapped once?

Comparing with this one, If the sequence is 8 9 0 1 2 3, there is no
problem to know the counter has been wrapped.
It is because if 3-8=-5, we will know the counter has been wrapped
because the value is negative.

But for the last example, the value is 9-8=1. That is positive. So how
can we know the counter has been wrapped?

Thanks,
Chih-Yuan Lee

Jan Schaumann wrote:

>                Name: attached