[cs615asa] Question about wrap

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Sun Apr 19 13:49:03 EDT 2009

Chih-Yuan Lee <clee9 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> My question is if the waiting time between two polling cycles is very
> long, how to figure the situation like this:

You can't.  Which, as you noted, has implications on the interval that
one would need to use to get accurate stats.  Depending on your
throughput and whether or not 64bit counters are used (vs 32bit
counters), your wrap time dictates your interval time.

See
http://www.wcisd.hpc.mil/~phil/sc2004/SC2004M6_files/v3_slide0453.htm

This is something that the user of the application needs to be aware of,
so the limitation in your application to only be able to detect a single
counter wrap is acceptable.