[cs615asa] thread number limitation on lab.cs.stevens.edu

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Sun Apr 19 14:27:56 EDT 2009

Yuyang Zhang <yzhang14 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> Problem happens on lab.cs.stevens.edu Seems I cannot initialize more
> than 37 threads or I will have an error like
> "thread.error: can't start new thread"

> Python version on lab is in the middle of the other two, so I am
> guessing the limitation might not be brought by python update. It might
> be placed by OS.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cross-platform programming.  I haven't
checked on the root cause of this since your program should be able to
handle such situations gracefully, but it's quite possible that there
are different limitations on how many threads a process on each of the
platforms is allowed.  Certain ulimits (such as stacksize) may also come
into play.