[cs615asa] Question-host

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Thu Mar 26 22:25:02 EDT 2009

Chih-Yuan Lee <clee9 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> $ host ge
> $ echo $?
> 0
>
> The system always return me 0 if I enter this command like host **
>
> Would you please tell me why this problem happen??

Looks like this happens for any top level domain.  "ge" is the tld for
Georgia, but this also happens for any other tld:

$ host org
$ host com
$ host gov
$ host net
$ host de
$ host fr

[...]

I'm not sure off the top off my head why, but I'm guessing that the
lookup returns successfully (since the tld exists), but doesn't print
anything (since a tld doesn't have A or AAAA records).

For example, "host -t any ge" will give you some information...