[cs615asa] Assignment #4 Questions

Teddy Reed treed at stevens.edu
Tue Apr 20 19:48:15 EDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

I'm running in to a bit if confusion. Is is necessary to preserve the UID
and GID for each account?

In class I asked what happened in the GID does not exist, and it was
suggested to create the group (however if it was already created then don't
bother, use the already existing group).

Here's my though process:

Given newUserName, newUID, newGID, newGroupName, gathered from the local
system.

On the remote system:

1) does a user with newUserName exist? (handle exception 'yes')
Yes: (Answered in the man page for ec2-sync-users)
2) does a user with newUID exist? (handle exception 'yes')
Yes: Pick a different one or skip this user?
3) does the newGroupName exist? (handle exception 'no')
No: check the newGID and decide then or add a group named {newGroupName} and
update the value of newGID?
4) does the newGID exist? (handle exception 'no')
No: (Answered in class, and above)

So my two outstanding questions are:

What to do if the UID is already assigned?
What happens if the group name already exists and the GIDs (local and
remote) do not match?

Thanks a ton,

--
Theodore M. Reed V