[cs615asa] Assignment #4 Questions

Lisa Joseph ljoseph at stevens.edu
Wed Apr 21 09:29:19 EDT 2010

Hi,

I just got confused with this mail chain..mebbe my understanding is
wrong..but just wanted to clarify it.

Adding user/group in remote system:
1) UID exists
error: UID is not unique
2)Username exists
error: user already exists
3)GID exists
error: GID is not unique
4)groupname exists
error: group already exists

These were the errors thrown by the remote system when i tried all
those 4 scenarios and permutations and combinations of those...
So my understanding is (uid,username) and (gid,groupname) should be
unique. You are not allowed to do mix and match...

>> > What happens if the group name already exists and the GIDs (local and
>> > remote) do not match?
>>
>> Hmmm.  Name exists, but gid mismatch.  Let's say: use given name, ie
>> accept different gid.

When i gave same groupname and different gid , groupadd command didnt
allow me to add new group since name is already existing. Also in
useradd command only groupid matters. So am i missing something here?
Or the command i use "groupadd" doesnt allow it but there are some
other commands which allow it ?? I am sorry if am confusing others..but
i just got stuck...

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Lisa.