[cs615asa] Regarding Stopping Instances

mmeladat at stevens.edu mmeladat at stevens.edu
Mon Feb 8 10:46:21 EST 2010

 Hi,

 As per HW3 I launched the 4 instances based on the AMI IDs mentioned
using the AWS Management Console.

 In the Instances section of AWS the list of instances are listed, of
which the Root Device Type is ebs only for Fedora Core 8, while for the
rest its Instance store. I can stop the instance that is of type ebs, but
only terminate the instance that is of Root device type as instance store.

 Once the instance is terminated, its gone from the list of instances
which is correct. Stopped instances stay in the instance list.

  I get this error message when I try to stop all the instances together.
 "The instance 'i-4e746c26' does not have an 'ebs' root device type and
cannot be stopped"

 Also for the instance store root device type after the instance is
running only the option of terminate is present, stop is not present.

 Any advice how to fix this.

 Thanks,
 Mary