[cs615asa] Compile error using pkgsrc

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Mon Feb 15 19:23:41 EST 2010

Lisa Joseph <ljoseph at stevens.edu> wrote:

> But the problem is when i try to install other packages like python25,
> it throws error . I found that pkgsrc is using gcc for compiling and
> building python25. I confirmed it by copying gcc into /usr/pkg/bin from
> /usr/bin(which i had installed using OS native packet manager) and was
> able to build python25 successfully. I think /etc/mk.conf is refering
> to this gcc. But i dont know how to refer to higher versions of gcc so
> that other packages like python25 will sucessfully build.

As you have found out, different operating systems ship with different
compilers by default.  Different compilers behave differently when
trying to build certain software.  There are many headaches hidden
behind these discrepancies.

If you're installing gcc3 and you wish to use that compiler by default,
you should then:

- consider updating your PATH to prepend the location of the binaries
  belonging to the gcc3 packages
- consider removing and rebuilding helper packages such as libtool
- look into setting the USE_PKGSRC_GCC variable in your mk.conf

It *is* possible to build all the packages noted in the homework
assignment on all the platforms noted (I just verified that myself -
phew!), but it may involve a number of unobvious steps and a lot of
troubleshooting and debugging.  If you are unable to get everything
installed as requested, don't be too concerned -- the main point of the
exercise is for you to understand what is actually involved in building
these packages, and finding out what can go wrong will give you a much
better understanding than if everything went smoothly.

Just make sure to clearly document what you tried to do and what the
results were together with what conclusions you might draw from these
errors.  Ie, the "how" of your homework assignment completion is much
more important than the ultimate end-result (though of course you should
try to resolve whatever conflicts or issues you encounter).