[cs615asa] paper/presentation

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Mon Mar 8 22:23:52 EST 2010

Hello,

This is a friendly reminder that by Wednesday (2010-03-10), all of you
should have chosen a topic for a presentation or paper.  Having chosen
one only counts if I'm aware of what you've chosen (and have approved
it), not just if you've made up your mind yourself.

So please:

- think about the topic you'd like to speak or write about
- choose the date that you'd like to give your presentation
- do some initial research
- give me a short (one or two paragraphs) summary of the topic, in which
  you outline what angles of the topic you'd like to focus on (and
  possibly how it's related to the class)

You may review some presentations/papers from previous semesters at
http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/615A/presentations/
http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/615A/papers/

(Of course these don't give you any indication how I may have graded
them. ;-)

Whatever topic you choose, I would like to see particular attention
given to the aspect of scalability.  That is, I'm less interested in a
"how I set up my home system to function as a backup server for my
laptop" kind of thing than in an analysis of a piece of software,
protocol, technology, widespread industry practice considering how it
would work in a large environment.

If you have experience in a unique environment that requires special
attention to certain details (for example, operating within the confised
of, say, government security clearance, or legal requirements of
international not-for-profit organizations), then that would also be
very interesting.

I'm aware that as students you may not be exposed to these environments
(though of course you may), but I want you to think, to use an old
clichee, outside the box.