[cs615asa] Quick HW4 Question

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Wed Mar 10 15:55:44 EST 2010

Sayre Blades <sblades at stevens.edu> wrote:
> Do we need to verify the shell on the remote machine?  In other words, can
> we simply assume that the shells are in the same location on both the local
> and remote machines (/bin/bash for example), or do we need to which on sh or
> bash (or whatever) extract the proper shell location and then use that
> path?

I'd suggest to check if the local shell (say, "/bin/bash") exists on the
remote side and is executable.  If so, use it.  If not, fall back to a
reasonably sane default shell (/bin/sh would seem reasonable).

Don't try to guess or find another shell on the remote system based on
the name of the local shell, though.

>  Also, I am assuming we should not set a password.

Correct.