[cs615asa] HW#1

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Thu Jan 27 15:24:19 EST 2011

John Wierzchowski <jwierzch at stevens.edu> wrote:

> one more quick question, I am a little bit paranoid, once we shut down the
> instance, if it is a public instance, that is all we need to do correct? we
> are not going to be charged for anything other than the time the instance
> was powered up?
> Specifically I am referring to the public "getting-started.manifest.xml"
> instance from the guide
> http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonEC2/gsg/2007-01-03/.
> After the command  /sbin/shutdown -h now  there is nothing else required of
> closing a public instance?

You need to "terminate" the instance.  See
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonEC2/gsg/2007-01-03/cleaning-up.html#terminating-an-instance
-- there are two ways to do so.  One is, as you described, to run
"shutdown -h" from within the instance, the other is to run
"ec2-terminate-instances".

You can check on the status of your instances in either the web UI or
via the command-line tools.  Either will tell you if you have any active
instances (for which you would be billed).