[cs615asa] CS615 HW3 -- backup bug

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Fri Mar 18 22:08:07 EDT 2011

Pengfei Liu <pliu3 at stevens.edu> wrote:

>  According to the user guide, "ec2-describe-tags" can show the list of
> tags. But "ec2-describe-tags" does not work as the same time
> "ec2-describe-instances" and "ec2-describe-volumes" work.
>
>  Our Ubuntu version is 10.04.2 and the ec2 version is 1.3-46266
> 2009-11-30.
>  There is website said it was a bug.
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ec2-api-tools/+bug/664083

You are correct.  That's pretty annoying - I've opened a ticket with the
helpdesk to get a newer version installed on all systems.

In the mean time, you can set your EC2_HOME variable to
/home/jschauma/ec2-api-tools-1.4.1.2 and then set your PATH to include
${EC2_HOME}/bin.  You should then be able to run 'ec2-describe-tags' and
other tag-related commands:

(hal9000) pwd
/home/jschauma
(hal9000) echo $EC2_HOME
/home/jschauma/ec2-api-tools-1.4.1.2
(hal9000) export PATH=${EC2_HOME}/bin:$PATH
(hal9000) ec2-describe-tags -h

  SYNOPSIS
     ec2dtag ([ec2-describe-tags])
     ec2dtag [GENERAL OPTIONS] [[--filter NAME=VALUE] ...]
  GENERAL NOTES
     Any command option/parameter may be passed a value of '-' to
indicate
     that values for that option should be read from stdin.
  DESCRIPTION
     Lists your tags. You can filter the list to return only tags you
specify.

[...]