[cs615asa] ssh configurations

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Sat Mar 26 20:07:13 EDT 2011

John Wierzchowski <jwierzch at stevens.edu> wrote:
> OOPs thanks I totally skipped that :/ Gatta go back to start instance
> now....
>
> Is it wrong to not use ec2-start-instance in ec2-backup? It may be the case
> as with the run instances flags variable, but i didn't see the assignment
> requiring we use the one tool in the other....

At some point ec2-backup needs to be able to start an instance and wait
for it to come online.  That is the definition of the tool
ec2-start-instance.  I see no benefit (and only drawbacks) in you
implementing this twice.  Furthermore, the point is to develop tools
that are extensible such that others (users and tools) can use them.

So while it's not a specified requirement for ec2-backup to use
ec2-start-instance, I really see no reason not to.