[cs615asa] CS615 hw3 volume

Pengfei Liu pliu3 at stevens.edu
Sat Mar 26 20:17:32 EDT 2011

 Hi everyone

 I want to see whether the backup folder is written to EBS volume. After
detaching an volume, I want to attach it to another instance and see the
folder saved on that volume.

 In order to prevent formatting the volume, I skip this step "mkfs -t ext3
/dev/sdh".
 “$ mount /dev/sdh /mnt/backup” returns "you must specify the
filesystem type".
 "$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sdh /mnt/backup” returns "wrong fs type, bad
option, bad ...."
 "$ fdisk -l" shows "Disk /dev/sdh doesn't contain a valid partion table"

 How to make the volume available to the instance without formatting the
volume?

 Thank you!