[cs615asa] [CS615] ec2-restore

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Sun May 1 21:39:11 EDT 2011

Javed Akhtar <jakhtar at stevens.edu> wrote:

> 1.       How to find where our backup data is residing, as there is no
> information about passing the concerned Volume ID?

The user would have to specify a volume with a tag.  If no tag is
specified, use 'ec2-backup'.

> 2.       If there are more than one volumes with same tag, then how to find
> the correct volume? Do we have to search for data in every volume with same
> tag? Isn't this process going to be very long?

If there are more than one volume with the given tag, then you may
consider that an error condition.

> 3.       "ec2-restore will create the directory specified via the -d flag if
> it does not exist." I couldn't understand this line. What is the point in
> creating a directory when data has to be restored?

You may wish to restore data from a backup into a new directory.  If
that directory does not yet exist, then ec2-restore will create it.

> 4.       If correct volume is somehow located, then do we need to upload the
> private key to the instance so as to use 'dd' or 'rsync' for restoring it
> back to local machine?

No, private keys are called private because they stay... private.  You
do not copy it around, as that would defeat the purpose of encrypting
the data to begin with.

-Jan