[cs615asa] HW#1 graded

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sun Feb 12 10:10:44 EST 2012

All,

I've just sent out grades for HW#1.  If you have not received an email
from me with your grade, please let me know.

A few general notes:

I would have liked you -- and in the future will expect -- a bit more
reflection/commentary on the outcomes of the commands you ran.  You
should have noticed that the output between the same commands on
different operating systems differs; think about what the differences
are, and what they mean.

Look at the mounted filesystems on the different operating systems.  Do
you know why each is mounted?

Look at the output of 'netstat' -- do you understand all output?  Why is
it representation of some information different on the two systems?

Look at the output of 'ifconfig' -- on one system you get a lot more
information than on the other; how would you go about finding that
information on the one with the shorter output?

I also would like to see more independent thought, not just mindless
execution of commands.  For example, if you attempt to print the
partition table, and the output includes something like:

Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table

...then it would be good for you to think about and comment on what that
might mean.

Similarly, even if you get output that looks ok, but a warning like:

/dev/dsk/c3d0s0 is part of active ZFS pool rpool. Please see zpool(1M).

...then it would be good for you to reference the given manual page and
comment on the meaning of this message.

These are just some examples.  Please make sure that you understand all
the output of all commands we use in this class, and remember to comment
on anything that might seem worth noting or unusual.