[cs615asa] FreeBSD, NetBSD pkg_src?

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Mon Feb 13 13:57:09 EST 2012

Rob Williams <rwillia2 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> For FreeBSD and NetBSD, are we supposed to use pkg_src to install the
> programs from source, like the other 3 instances? Or is it not
> necessary since they use the binary versions of pkg_src already.

NetBSD uses pkgsrc as the default package management system, and as you
probably have discovered by now, there are binary packages available for
NetBSD, so you can use those.

FreeBSD does not use pkgsrc as the default package management system.
Use their package manager instead (using either binary packages or
building from source).