[cs615asa] Solaris and bootstrap issue

Rob Williams rwillia2 at stevens.edu
Thu Feb 16 13:42:35 EST 2012

I have the same exact problem. It appears that we need the SUNWhea
package to get stdio.h, and I'm guessing there are other missing
packages as well. I found the following list somewhere of what the
pre-requisites for building GCC are:

for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
     SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
for libraries & headers:
     SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms,
     SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
     SUNWxglh
for 64 bit development:
     SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
     SUNWtoox
for ucb compat:
     SUNWsra, SUNWsrh
These packages are all on the Solaris 2.x CDs, except that some
packages may only exist in some releases and not in others. Some
packages may be on separate CDs, such as the "Desktop/CDE" CD, but all
are part of the Solaris "bundle".

Unfortunately, I think it is impossible for us to get these packages.
Every site I found mentioned that you need to use the CD. They are
distributed on the Solaris CD, but since the Oracle acquisition of
Sun, downloading OpenSolaris ISO is impossible (as of July 2011 the
"Sun Download Center" is decommissioned). Perhaps there is a
third-party site where we can get this ISO, but I haven't been able to
find it. This would not be a big issue if we actually had an AMI which
had a valid build environment, but the only valid OpenSolaris AMI
seems to be extremely minimal in what it comes included with (not to
mention the fact that the 'pkg' system is busted out of the box and
requires the patching described in an earlier post). I have personally
given up on OpenSolaris due to these issues. The official Oracle blog
about OpenSolaris on EC2 basically says that it's completely
unsupported as of now and not recommended for use, so the fact that we
even have an instance running the OS at all is already quite an
achievement.