[cs615asa] Availability Zones of Volumes and Instances

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sun Mar 4 20:05:18 EST 2012

Tejas <tnadkarn at stevens.edu> wrote:
> Is it acceptable to just pick one zone for this HW and hard code it?
> That's the least impacting to the user and guarantees you'll never
> have a problem between volumes and instances?

I'm afraid you don't quite have that luxury.  The user can give your
tool an instance and a volume in different zones.  Now it's fine for
your program to consider than an error condition and abort, but it would
need to do so in a way that makes the cause of the error obvious to the
user.

However: If the calls to the ec2 tools you're making happens to produce
reasonably accurate error messages, then you may in fact be able to just
ignore this edge condition.