[cs615asa] Can't connect to DNS server

Tejas tnadkarn at stevens.edu
Sat Mar 24 13:41:37 EDT 2012

Some further info...

For testing I opened all TCP/UDP/ICMP ports for the instances I'm using.
I can ping as I said and I was able to telnet into SHH port 22 on the
DNS server from the host without issue. I can traceroute from the host
to the DNS and it all looks good.

However any attempt on port 53 is refused. This leads me to believe it's
something with the local DNS process since I have a single AWS rule for
both port 22 and 53 so I don't believe it's a firewall issue.

However, running nslookup/dig on the DNS server itself works fine so
issue appears to be handling queries outside of localhost - I've
verified that named is listening on port 53 via netstat so must be a
permissioning thing. I've played around with the named.conf but maybe I
missed something that's blocking queries.

Anybody help??!