[cs615asa] HW1

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Feb 8 16:46:07 EST 2014

Hello,

I've just sent out grades for HW1.  A common general notes:

As useful as this link may have been to you:
http://paulstamatiou.com/how-to-getting-started-with-amazon-ec2/

You must not blindly skim documentation and copy the commands without
thinking about what they do.

Several of you now have an ssh keypair named "pstam-keypair".  Maybe
consider what "pstam" stands for here and whether or not it makes sense
for your keys to be named like that.

Those of you who followed this guide and set themselves up using the old
ec2-tools probably want to make sure to switch over to using the 'aws'
command-line tools.  They are significantly faster and the old tools may
be deprecated in the future.

When you write your document, think about whether or not it really is
useful as intended.  Remember, the objective was for you to provide a
document that could guide a newcomer to get set up.  Would another
student taking this class next year be able to use your guide to get set
up without much research on their own?

Do not include any private content (such as private ssh keys,
certificates, access keys etc.) in your documentation.  When sent over
the internet or made available on a website, they can be discovered by
others, who might now be able to access your AWS account.  If you did
so, please make sure to immediately change the credentials.

Finally, a note on the format.  Please do not use Word or similar
unsuitable tools to create a simple text or html document.  A regular
text editor, like vi, vim, emacs, nano, pico, etc. is much preferred.
Make it a habit to do _all_ your work on linux-lab in the command-line
environment.

When you submit documents to me, make sure they are in plain text format
or, if used within a website, HTML format.  .docx, .zip, and .pdf files
are able to execute code, and thus are frequently used by malware.  Many
email systems block them altogether, and I will not open them.