[cs615asa] HW2 Questions

John Scire jscire at stevens.edu
Wed Feb 12 13:49:09 EST 2014

Hello,

I have a few questions that I wanted some clarification on regarding HW2.

1) For the node.js dependency, can we use the rpm package or should we
include the source in our rpm package and put steps to build that along
with statsd in the spec file?

2) I noticed that the dependencies for node.js differ slightly from the
rpm listing and the main github website.  If we are using the rpm
package, should we include a super-set of the dependencies and include
all from both in our spec file?

3) After adding the dependencies and coming time to install the statsd
rpm package on a clean machine, is it okay if it throws an error about a
missing dependency, to which then the user must install to continue, or
should it pull the dependency and install that automatically before
continuing? But then again, am I correct in assuming that the only
reason it pulls dependencies automatically when we install a package
using yum, is that yum has the capability to do this when a package is
on the repository as opposed to us installing a binary rpm package using
rpm?

Thanks again,
John Scire