[cs615asa] HW2

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sun Feb 16 21:52:53 EST 2014

jscire <jscire at stevens.edu> wrote:

> Question: I was wondering if we should use the %config and %doc macros
> for the %files section?

That is up to you.

You want to make sure you understand what side-effects the different
directives have, and where you install them.

For example, it is good practice for a package to not delete a
configuration file if that file has been modified since the package was
installed.  On the other hand, if that file was not modified, then it
can (and should) be removed.

The directories your package creates should be removed when the package
is uninstalled, unless other files have been created in the directory.

For the most part, your package should not violate what is known as the
Principle of Least Astonishment.  That is, when a system administrator
installs the package, uses the software, and uninstalls it again, it
should behave as one would reasonably expect.

I hope this helps you find the answers to your questions.