[cs615asa] [HW2] Daemon setup

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Mon Feb 17 10:36:38 EST 2014

nbevacqu <nbevacqu at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I just realized that while people have asked questions regarding the
> dependencies, no one has asked about the actual running of the program
> itself. Statsd is supposed to run as a daemon, so are we supposed to set
> that up or do we just install the files in the relevant directories and
> expect users to know how to invoke the program? (ex: cd /path/to/statsd;
> nodejs stats.js localConfig.js)

If the software provider does not include a start script, then you do
not need to provide one.  However, often times the people who package
software do fill such gaps.  But a properly working daemon startup
script is a bit more than just "cd dir; run command", so you do not need
to implement this for this assignment.

We will discuss some of this in our next class.