[cs615asa] build install and file sections

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Mon Feb 17 22:14:20 EST 2014

John Scire <jscire at stevens.edu> wrote:
> As for what files we need to package in, we only need the files
> necessary for it to run and the documentation, correct? We can leave out
> the other misc. files/directories in the statsd source tarball?

That is up to you.  There is no right or wrong here, and different
packagers approach the issue differently.

As you've found out, packaging software requires you to make decision as
to what exactly is to be included in the package.  Sometimes software
comes with a number of examples, helper scripts, tools, additional
documentation etc.  Installing all of this is useful when the user wants
everything related installed, but it will take up more space and may
require additional dependencies to be pulled in.

Some packaging systems go as far as taking software provided by
"upstream" and dividing it into multiple packages, "foo" (providing only
the bare minimum to run "foo"), "foo-docs" (to provide additional
documentation, or possibly manual pages), "foo-devel" (to include the
shared libraries needed for you to build something that links against
foo, but not required to actually run "foo"), and so on.