[cs615asa] Homework 1 Questions

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Thu Jan 23 22:44:29 EST 2014

John Scire <jscire at stevens.edu> wrote:

> 1) Do we just need to write it in terms of how we did it or make it more
> general so anyone could in a sense follow it? For example, "First SSH
> onto the Linux Lab" wouldn't be a general howto, but it is specific to
> our explanation. Are instructions like this okay?

I'd suggest to assume that the user has a working unix system with the
aws tools installed.  That way, you can write it for any user of
linux-lab.cs.stevens.edu without having to be specific to this
particular setup.

It's fine to note assumptions or things that are unique about our
system.

> 2) As for referencing things, so far I've been using the the links you
> gave me, so I have been stating that "For this step, as mentioned in the
> Amazon Getting Started with Command Line Tools Page, you need..." . Is
> this okay to do or if we only use the documentation you have given us we
> don't have to mention it?

Reference any links that you think would be useful for the reader.
Consider how you, yourself, might read the document a few months down
the line.  You probably wouldn't want to try to search for that homework
assignment from that one class you took back then and oh, by the way,
that file is no longer there.

I'd probably just write:

Follow the steps noted in <a href="some link">this document</a> to do X.

Hope this helps,