[cs615asa] status checks for Amazon EC2 instances

John Scire jscire at stevens.edu
Sat Mar 29 11:09:41 EDT 2014

The way we did it to make sure that the instance was at least somewhat ready to connect to was by grepping the very first line of output for the hostname used to ssh into the instance (we are using perl). We also have some sleep calls, but as soon as the hostname is set up, its a good indication that you should be able to connect. Although, sometimes the instance still may not be 100% connectable even with this, as ive gotten connection refused errors sometimes even when the hostname was up. So we also created an ssh test subroutine that tries to connect to the instance along with a sleep call in case of failure.

Thanks,
John Scire